Monday, September 15, 2008

Early Riser?

No one has ever confused me for an early riser. EVER. I mean mornings are beautiful. Sun just peaking up over the trees behind our house. Birds singing their praises. But me? I'd rather just stay in bed, at least for a little longer.



Recently I was convicted of this fact when I studied the Proverbs 31 Woman. Proverbs 31:15 says "She rises while it is yet night, And provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants."



I tried to play it off for a while... "Well, God makes morning people and He makes night people. I'm just a night person!" Right?



Well, that (unfortunately) is not what it says. It says she rises while it is still night. Bummer... So, why does it say that? What is the difference? Why can't I just shift the time from early morning to later in the night?



The Manager of a business should usually be the first one to work so they can over see, give assignments, make sure everyone has everything they need. Isn't the wife kind of like a manager of the household? The Proverbs Woman probably woke up early, eager to start her day, praising God, praying for provision for the day... Then she probably planned her day, in those quite hours before her kids awoke from their slumber. (This woman had a lot to do in her day, so planning was probably a necessity). She also probably planned what her maidservants needed to do that day also. Besides having to "run" her household, she also needs to make sure her husband has his needs filled first, and like most men especially in those days, probably had a job where he also had to rise early, before the heat of the day.



So this applies to me how? Well, obviously, I need to wake early in the morning- BEFORE any of the people in my household. This is so I can spend time in the Word, so I can plan my day, so I can shower (if I wait too long into the day, it's not easy to find time!), and most importantly, so I can be there for my husband and his needs that day. Does he like coffee brewed when he wakes up in the morning? Brew it! Does he like the windows open and the cool morning air flowing into the house? Open those windows! Does he like to wake up to happy wife? Get up, get a good start to your day so when he wakes up you are ready for him! Most of my married life, my husband has woke up to no one, and then after the kids wake ME up, then he gets to see his drowsy wife crawl out of bed... bed-head and all. Lucky man, right... Wrong answer. I have just started when the boys started school this fall, to get up early and have breakfast for them. I need to get up earlier, so I can be ready for them and the day at hand. So I can spend time with God, and so my hubby can wake up to the person he deserves... A happy, eager to serve, wife!



As a woman, we shouldn't just consider this our "duty", we should be happy to do it because this is what the Lord wants from us! So make it your prayer today, to wake early, spend time with the Lord, prepare yourself for the coming in of the day, be ready to serve and pray that you do it with a joyful and willing heart!



Deu 10:12 "Now, people of Israel, listen to what the LORD your God demands of you: Worship the LORD and do all that he commands. Love him, serve him with all your heart, and obey all his laws.

3 comments:

Bovee Family said...

The verse at the end of this post is one I don't know that I have ever read, and if I have, never really looked at. "Demands" is a very strong word! Wow, am I doing all these with all my heart? Checking every area of my life to see if I am truly obeying. The past couple of weeks have been rough for me. Partially due to the lovely gift of the menstrual cycle (this is a women only blog,right), but the other part is due to my lack of faith and obedience to Him. What a difference it makes when I look at His Word for what it says and truly surrender myself to it. Great post as a reminder to us all that we can improve in this.

Megan said...

I really love this blog and this post is very convicting....

I have improved greatly in this area but have much room to improve. 3 years ago I started getting up with Shawn and making him breakfast (even if its not much
0 I still have the hassle of doing it, not him. Then I make his lunch.

I know he could do it himself but so can I! If I can help him start his day a little easier and better then why wouldn't I want to do this.

BUT...
According to this verse I should get up before him not just with him. This is what I need to work on. hmmmm you're making me think!

Sarah said...

I am still struggling with this! I have been trying to get up earlier each morning, and it isn't easy! My problem is that I stay up too late, finishing this and that, then to bed, then I read... and then wake up later than I would like. We will all pray for each other... for our desire to serve to be so strong that it overpowers our desire to sleep a half an hour longer...