Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Homemade Tortilla Shells

It's not like I NEED shells to make tacos with, but tonight's dinner was supposed to be Wet Burritos. Except, I had no soft Tortilla shells. I had come across a recipe, a few days ago, and decided to give it a try.



I revised the ingredients, to fit what I had (the ingredients were pretty minimal anyways), and I thought my tortillas turned out looking better then the ones that this person had pictured that she makes! I thought they were beautiful...



The next test, the boys. They were all like, "are these GOOD for us?", and "what do these TASTE like?". I told them YES, they ARE good for them, and they taste like taco shells...



Well, I didn't have the heart to spring a menu item that we haven't had in a long while on them. Plus, I couldn't bear hiding such a pretty tortilla! So, we made tacos.



Normally, with store bought tortillas, my boys will eat 3-4 tacos. With these homemade tortillas, they are SO filling and delicious, we all had one, well, except for Austin, he had 2. And they did love them. They kept talking about how good they were and how sorry daddy was going to be that he had to work and miss this meal!




So, here is the Soft Tortilla Recipe that we made:



3 C. white flour

1 C. warm water

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/4 C. oil



Mix all ingredients except the flour in a bowl. Then mix in the flour, you may need to turn the dough onto the counter to knead the dough. You may also need to add a little more flour, I didn't have to add much more. Form it into a ball, and let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, cut into 8-10 pieces, and make into balls. Let those sit for another 10 minutes. After that 10 minutes, roll into a circle with a rolling pin, until they are about 10 inches round. Bake them on a lightly greased griddle, until done. I let mine back about 30-45 seconds, and some of them has a little brownness on the bubbles that formed in the dough. Bake on both sides, then I put mine on a paper towel to get off any excess grease.



I don't know how well, these keep yet. But I will find out soon!

Check out more frugal recipes HERE.

8 comments:

Genesa said...

Those sound very yummy!

SnoWhite said...

Sounds great - I have yet to try making tortillas... but just recently acquired a griddle, and I think you've inspired me to try :)

Tracy said...

I wonder if this would work with whole wheat flour? I try to stay away from white as much as I can. It makes me feel like I am doing something "healthy" for my family! :)
These look so yummy!

Nicole said...

I was just thinking this morning how I would like to make my tortilla shells from scratch! I, too, would love to try this while whole wheat. I would imagine you could substitute the wheat for white, and then as you're kneading it just sprinkle in enough white to hold it together well. If anybody tries this, let me know!

Sarah said...

I actually would have used half and half (white & wheat flour), but I had just used the last of my wheat flour the day before. Next time I make them, they will have wheat flour in them.

SnoWhite said...

I made these tonight - they went together super quick and were delicious. I added in 1/2 C whole wheat flour, and it was nice. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Kim said...

Just a tip - real tortillas are fried in a dry pan - no oil required.

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I'm going to try these. How did you store them? How long did they last? Thank you so much for sharing!