Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Adornment


My husband thinks I am "goofy" when he asks me to run somewhere quickly for him (store, pick-up something, etc. ) and I tell him I need to take a shower first. I mean I have 4 boys, I can get ready in 30 minutes flat. That is showering, shaving my legs, washing my face, doing make-up, getting dressed, even hair dried! But he still thinks I am funny for having to do that before I can go anywhere! I just don't like to be seen with bed-hair. And a little make-up has never hurt this face! In fact, I am pretty sure it is a necessity!


While I don't think I have made "getting presentable" a priority in my life, I still wonder if I am too worried about it. Especially when I read things like this:



1Pe 3:1-6 In the same way you wives must submit yourselves to your husbands, so that if any of them do not believe God's word, your conduct will win them over to believe. It will not be necessary for you to say a word, because they will see how pure and reverent your conduct is. You should not use outward aids to make yourselves beautiful, such as the way you fix your hair, or the jewelry you put on, or the dresses you wear. Instead, your beauty should consist of your true inner self, the ageless beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of the greatest value in God's sight. For the devout women of the past who placed their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful by submitting themselves to their husbands. Sarah was like that; she obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are now her daughters if you do good and are not afraid of anything.


I mean I have seen women that can definitely pull off the no make-up thing. Pull your hair back and look radiant. Throw on a pair of sweats and tee shirt and make other women jealous. But me- not so much. I need a little work. So what is this saying then? I have looked at other versions of this also (just to make sure, you know?) And there are some that say, "do not let your adornment be merely outward". I like the word merely. It says to me, you can work a little at looking good on the outside, but your real work should be on the inside!


I believe also (but couldn't find the verses before blogging this), that we need to be in a state of not being a distraction from the words that we bring. In other words, if I am wearing something like heavy eyeliner with electric blue eyeshadow, and I come in preaching the word of God, Yes, people will stop and look. But they would probably only be looking because of my poor choices in how I have adorned my body. Likewise, I think if I came in just as I have rolled out of bed, and started sharing the Word, I think I may still be a distraction from those words! I don't think we necessarily WANT to "fit in", but I think we need to look nice. Not "hot", not "ugly", nothing of distraction.


*We should be clean. Yeah! I love being clean. (I know, Am I the only one?) Shower, use soap, wash that hair, shave those legs.... We need to also NOT FEEL like a distraction. If we aren't confident because of how we look, are we being a benefit to the kingdom?


*Wearing nice clothing. Not necessarily TRENDY. We don't want to dress just for OUR comfort, but for the comfort of others. We want to not cause others to sin, by looking at us! Nothing revealing, nothing crazy! I have definitely struggled with dressing appropriately in the past. I struggled with trends as opposed to what is appropriate! Now, thanks to my "mother" body, I couldn't even FIT into something inappropriate if I wanted to! But, I also know I DO NOT want to be a distraction from His message. Let "strength and dignity" be your clothing (Prov. 31:25).


*Don't be heavy on the jewelry! There can be nothing more distracting on some women than their 20 rings, their huge necklaces, 8 piercings on each ear, 3 broaches... you get the picture and I KNOW you know what I'm talkin' about! Modesty. Let your adornment be the Word of the Lord.


*Makeup- also as above, use discretion! Look natural, don't try too hard. When you try too hard, others may think that YOU think you are better than them. Also a distraction.


So definitely dressing our OUTSIDES can be important, but should NEVER come first. Our strength and honor, our words and actions should be our adornment.


God- PLEASE, help me not to be too consumed with my looks. Help me to reflect those qualities ONLY desirable to You. Thank you for everything you've blessed us with, including Your Word. In Your Name-- AMEN.

1 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

I just read this the other day. no kiddding. and I was thinking how I wish so much that there was some female out there preaching to youth about the importance of MODESTY! Actually, I know some adults who need in on that conference. But anyway, I don't wear makeup because I don't know how to put it on. But I do stay CLEAN! LOL.
I need to work a bit harder on the inside though, and the behavior speaking louder than words. And maybe I should work my butt a bit more too. The butt i've got now needs to GO. :)
LOVE YA.