Sunday, September 21, 2008

Forming New Habits

I have recently started a new way of grocery shopping, where I have saved approximately $150.+ each week in groceries. If you would like to see how I do this-go here to find out how & how to put that into action! This is my sis-in-laws blog so it is local! Basically I use sales in combination with coupons and I get a lot of things very cheap, if not free!

My point here is that one of my many goals is to have a weekly meal planning list! Why waste my time, you ask? Well, I have been wanting to, just so I can be more prepared so when the chaos of after school comes, I won't be overwhelmed and under prepared! Secondly, I can use the items I have in stock, in my cupboards and my freezer to feed my family- thus, saving money (another thing God calls us women to do, being good stewards of our finances!). But, God also says we need to provide food for our household.

Pro 31:14-15 She is like the merchants' ships; she brings her food from afar. She also rises while it is still night, and gives food to her household, and a share to her young women.


The Proverbs 31 women brought her food from afar. That means she had to plan, she had to make lists. In her day, you couldn't just run to the store, you had to go to the streets, the markets, maybe even the docks when the ships came in, to get some deals on food! There were no coupons, no super centers, & no Internet. If she went shopping, and then forgot something, she would just have to make due without. But, we do have these conveniences, you say. Which do you think would save the most money... running to the store every time you needed hamburger, or flour? Or would it be better to be prepared, have a menu set ahead of time with things you already have in your cupboards or form a shopping list on Monday for the things you will need for the following weeks menu. OK- you already know what my vote is!


So the point of all of this- I am going to start trying to prepare a weekly menu. Like I will prepare the following weeks menu before I go shopping in the current week. So I know that if I have forgotten something, I can switch that meal with a meal that I do have all of the ingredients for.


If you would also like to do this, I have found some sources here. I think pretty much you can go one of two ways with meal planning: weekly planning or monthly planning. This lady here does weekly planning. There is also the monthly option here, which might give you a little more wiggle room.


I am going to continue to read up on this subject, write down all of our favorite recipes (it's going to be changing a bit now that the weather is getting a little cooler), and then start hashing out a plan, to start hopefully next Monday.


Do you meal plan? Maybe you can form a new habit too, and start meal planning for your household!

2 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

I couldn't get the shopping link to work. :(

Sarah said...

Try again Joy. It may have just been a fluke in the internet waves... or something... I got it to work ok just now.