Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Challenges in Marriage II

Thank you to those of you who commented on what you see as the biggest challenge in your marriage, and also what you thought your husband would also say. Thank you for your honesty!


For me, I think my biggest challenge in our marriage, in this season, is making my husband #1! I tend to jump a little quicker for my boys sometimes, especially baby. I need to make sure HE is first. At dinner, I always get the kids plates first. HIS should be first. Among other things... He even jokes that they come first. I know in a way he is serious. Although I am getting better, I still have a ways to go.


Also, submitting myself to him at all times, in all matters, is another difficulty for me. Sometimes, I have other plans! We have the same issues with the Lord, right?



Eph 5:22-24 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands as to the Lord. For a husband has authority over his wife just as Christ has authority over the church; and Christ is himself the Savior of the church, his body. And so wives must submit themselves completely to their husbands just as the church submits itself to Christ.


I'm not discussing the matter of a husband abusing his wife, that is another matter all together. I am talking about a healthy marriage, in which both both people are committed to the long haul!


But, I can glean a lot from this verse. I NEED to. Because that is what the Lord calls us to do!


I think my husband would probably say the same thing! His biggest challenge would probably be me being available to him, in whatever. Also, probably our differences in things: He is a get stuff done (even if it's not done well!), when you're not using it throw it out, don't just expect me to KNOW how you're feeling, kind of guy.


Now, if you are brave enough: ASK your husband what HE would say is the biggest challenge to HIM in your marriage. Ask him what he thinks that YOU think is the biggest challenge. I'm sure some of us might be surprised, and it might spark some good conversation! Communication on especially these issues are very important.


I told you yesterday that I had read an article in the Parade Magazine on Sunday. I am going to give you some of the highlighted numbers that they gave.


Under the heading of LOVE, they said 56% of the people surveyed said they would definitely marry the same person again (the people surveyed were married). 44% of women have thought about leaving their husbands, and 31% of men have thought about leaving their wives.


Under the heading of SEX, they said 31% have sex less than once a month. 48% of men don't have sex more often because their spouse isn't interested. 33% of women don't have sex more often because they're tired. 25% describe marital sex either tolerable or terrible.


Under SECRETS, they said 24% have kept an important secret from their spouse, 63% would try to save their marriage if their spouse was unfaithful. And 19% of men have had sex outside of marriage.


In the article they also stated that "marriage seemed to be working quite well" for the people surveyed. I would not say those statistics were good!


What can we do,as women, to make our marriages better? Do you remember why you married your husband? What do you love about him? How does he make your life better? How does he "complete you"? One of the blogs I love to read, the woman wrote a love letter to her husband. It made me think how much I think my husband would like to hear words like that, reasons I fell in love with him and reasons I still love him.


If you have time this week, do the same for your husband. We all need to be reminded, in the chaos of life, why we fell in love and why we still love them with all of our hearts.


God- Remind us of all of things that we can do in our marriages to make them better. Not only because it will work better for ME, but because it will help to make my husband a better man. I want to serve him, and by doing that I am serving YOU. Help me to be obedient to Your Words, God. I love You. -Amen



Pro 31:11-12 Her husband trusts her with all his heart, and he does not lack anything good. She helps him and never harms him all the days of her life.

1 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Aww Sarah, this was a great post. Good reminders. Keept them coming. :)