Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Cleaning- Laundry Area



Oh boy! This last week was BUSY! Birthdays, projects, garden, more birthdays...

This week, I need to regain focus! This week we are looking at our laundry area. I say area, because some of us have nice rooms all for laundry, but some of us don't. The laundry area is simply the area that houses you washer /dryer, and other laundry supplies.

That area for ME is my unfinished basement:



It's a very small space with NO organization, I sometimes get a nice tool selection on the top of the dryer, when I do laundry clothes sit on the ground right in front of the washer and dryer...

Many Problems!

Some facts about laundry:
  • The average American family does 8–10 loads of laundry each week (AHAM). (found here from GE)
  • A single load of laundry, from wash to dry, takes an average of one hour and twenty seven minutes to complete (AHAM). (found here from GE)
  • What happens to the germs and bacteria that are in and on our clothing? Does it go down the drain? Go HERE and read about how it DOESN'T.
  • U.S. consumers wash more than 660 million loads every week, or about 35 billion wash loads a year, totaling 100 million tons of clothes. That translates to 1,000 wash loads started in the United States every second of every day. (found here)

What can you do to keep that Laundry Area Clean?

* Wash hands after sorting laundry

* Wash hands after transferring wet laundry to the dryer

* Launder underwear at the end, not the beginning, of laundry loads

* Use liquid bleach in underwear washloads, if possible

* If bleach is not used, sanitize the machine's surfaces by simply running an empty wash cycle on cold water. Add one cup of bleach to the wash-water.

What's the Plan This Week???

  • Clean out the laundry area, wipe down everything (probably with some sort of bleach based product!), sweep.
  • Rid out anything that does not need to be in the area. This area can get cluttered anyways!
  • Organize! Bring in baskets, hampers, hangers, etc and organize!
  • Wipe down Washer and dryer (inside and out!)
  • Is everything working? If it isn't replace or fix anything that needs it.
  • Decorate?
So, what is YOUR plan this week??? Care to share?! Please link up or add a comment! I would LOVE to see or hear what you are doing this week!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a thing about towels too. I wash underwear and towels with bleach. I change hand towels daily and we do not share body towels. When people think I am crazy and wasteful. I had one friend tell me that until the towel started smelling they all just used it - gag me! I tell them "think about the last place people tend to dry off and the first place you tend to dry off". I love my family but I want my own, clean towel - every time and I don't mind the extra laundry it makes.

By the way - thanks for doing this Spring Clean thing. I am really enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a gerat productive week in the laundry room.

Brenda Lazzaro Yoder, said...

Just found your blog - can't wait to see more!