Wednesday, June 3, 2009

In His Word Wednesday- Gentle


I was trying to think of words that should describe a woman of God. Gentle came to mind, so I did a search on my "E-Sword" (great program, look it up and get it, it's probably free!) and that brought up several verses I think we should look at!

Deu 32:2 "My teaching will fall like drops of rain and form on the earth like dew. My words will fall like showers on young plants, like gentle rain on tender grass. "
His words and his teachings will not beat someone over the head??? No! They fall like gentle rain on young vegetation... NO heavy driving rain. I thought that verse was awesome. I don't remember hearing that before. What does this mean? It means we need to bring God's Word to people (YOUNG plants, TENDER grass), and we need to do it in a loving, nurturing sort of way, as to not beat the soft plants down, but to nourish them and give them what they need! Awesome...

Pro 15:1 "A gentle answer quiets anger, but a harsh one stirs it up. "
I think we all know what this one means if we really let it sink in. I know in times when I get upset (***gasp!***), I don't think about using gentle words, I want to yell until I am FINALLY heard! But, I have also found that when I do stay calm(er), and use those gentle answers, others pay attention. But, when I get mad, others get mad real quick!

Pro 31:26 "She speaks with a gentle wisdom. "
This is the Virtuous Woman here. She speaks with gentle wisdom. Not just running her mouth, to hear her own voice, or to be "heard". She has gentle wisdom. She chooses her words, and uses them in a manner that God finds so beautiful!

Mat 10:16 "Listen! I am sending you out just like sheep to a pack of wolves. You must be as cautious as snakes and as gentle as doves. "
Jesus was here preparing His disciples to go out and preach the Gospel. We still need to be this way today! Because we DAILY are living in amongst the wolf packs. So we need to be cautious as snakes , but still maintaining the level of gentleness that God requires of us.
There are lots of great verses about gentleness in the Bible. OR take any quality that you would like to work on or NEED to work on, and study up on it!
For more encouragement, visit Megan HERE. And join us in encouragement and prayers!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love prob. 15:1

"A gentle answer quiets anger" This is so true. I often fail at this, then am quickly reminded that I should have been gentle

Thanks for linking

Anonymous said...

That is so true when dealing with kids. I am slowly learning that things get accomplished with better attitudes if I gently coach my two year old to clean up her toys instead of loosing it, sending her to sit on her bed and just doing it myself. I am a work in progress but I feel like I am learning from it. God is so patient with me.