Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Practical Tip Tuesday


I am going to be participating every Tuesday in Practical Tip Tuesday over HERE. Check it out if you would like to participate!


My practical tip is to start your own garden and flower plants inside! I have not yet done this. But this is going to be my first year!


You know when you go to a greenhouse in April or May, and want to buy a flat of flowers, you are gonna spend some money. And there are always some really neat ones that don't come in the flats and you have to buy it separate and spend MORE money.


Well, this year, I am going to buy seed, and plant them indoors, myself!

I don't have fancy equipment. But I have read that you can start with an egg carton, and some dirt!


You start planting your seeds inside 4-6 weeks before the last frost in your area. In my area, it was April 26th, last year. To look up your area, go here.


You need to pick out what you are going to plant. And you can either order from one of the hundreds of seed catalogs you get in the mail, or go to your local garden center. I usually get mine at Menard's!


So, you have your seed. Now you need dirt! Some places I have looked say any dirt is fine, some say it needs to be "good" dirt. So, I think I am going to get some that is specified as potting soil. I will take my egg carton(s), and fill the little cups with dirt. Then, plant my little seeds according to the direction on the package. You can also write on your egg carton what seeds you have planted in where, or when you planted, or whatever other info you need to remember for the plants.


For watering, I will probably get a spray bottle. They say not to drowned the seeds/plants, so taking a spray bottle with room temperature water, would work the best.


Location: set your egg carton in a sunny, warm location, like a south facing window.


A week before you want to plant your plants outside, set the carton outside during the day to "harden" the plants. Bring them in at night. Then after about a week, your plants should be ready to go in the ground or in planters!


I am excited to save a little money and get some different plants! Have fun! This would also be a great activity to do with your kids! Have them help!






2 comments:

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

I did this for the first time last year it works great and does save lots of money...I just did flower seeds...impatients did the best for me.
Another little hint..you can use a heating pad and put it under whatever your plants are in (egg carton)and it really helps the seeds to germinate faster. I had seeds that germinated in less than a week and started to sprout and the packet said it would take 2 weeks or longer. I usually put it on lower just for 1/2 the day or so. Or use the high setting if you egg carton isn't getting warm.
Sun is also a huge thing. I do not have any windows in my house that face the south, which gives me a little challenge with getting them enough sun...so I am thinking of using bulbs this year maybe..we shall see!! Happy growing!! I would have to say flowers and gardening is definately a passion of mine.

Megan said...

You guys are great!! This is one area I'm clueless but would love to be smarter in. Keep the tips coming!!

I don't have any south sunny spots either so I figured I couldn't do something like this! heating pad... interesting!!

Thanks Sarah I would have had no idea how to do this!!