Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Our Words

I know- it is hard for women to be mindful of their words. I could go in many directions here, but if we are being honest with ourselves, we already know which category we fall into- from bad to worse.


I have always disliked gossip, dislike the groups of people that seem to gossip the most... but as much as I hate it- I find myself still falling prey to that sin every once in a while.


And gossip isn't the only thing we need to watch as far as our words go. We need to watch out HOW we speak, and WHEN we speak, HOW MUCH, etc.


Here are some verses to think about as we go on about our day. . .


Pro 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.


We need to be soft with our speech. Don't yell, don't get angry. Anger will only make the situation worse. Keeping a soft answer, not letting our emotions get out of hand, will keep the situation calmer and probably help resolve issues quicker!


Pro 16:21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent, and the sweetness of the lips increases learning.


So out of the abundance of the heart.... comes sweetness! Would you rather eat a lot of a sweet watermelon or apple, or would you rather eat a lot of a sour lemon? If our heart is wise, full of knowledge in God's Word, and we open our mouth and the sweet word's of God come pouring out, people are going to listen in awe. If we open our mouths and sour words come pouring out, people are either going to try to argue with us, or they are just going to walk away!


Pro 16:24 Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. (also look at Psalms 19:10)


Again, our words, if they are sour, they will turn people away. But if they are sweet (with God's words and wisdom), then people will stop and listen. And the Word of the Lord is always good for the body!



Pro 10:19 Sin is unavoidable when there is much talk, but whoever seals his lips is wise. or
Pro 10:19 In the multitude of words, sin is not lacking; but he who holds back his lips is wise.


I liked the first version. When a person just keeps talking and talking, they usually say too much. They give too many details. But if we seal our lips, those words will not have opportunity to hurt or do damage!


James 1:19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;


Have you ever found yourself in a situation, where the more you talked, the angrier you got? The more you replayed some event or altercation in your head, the worse the situation became? This verse shows that if we keep our mouths closed for a while and thoughtfully consider what happened, then we may be able to figure out a peaceful resolution. And LISTEN! Maybe we didn't catch all the facts, because we were running our mouths! So, be thoughtful and slow to speak.


I know this has given me a lot to think about. I know we all struggle with this at one level or another.


Lord- Thank you for loving me and being so forgiving, even when I really don't deserve it! Help me to watch my words, and the words I do speak, God, please let them reflect You only, not me. Help me to consider all of Your words that I have learned here today, and hide them in my heart. Thank you for those words. In Your name- Amen.


2 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Hmmm. I talk too much. That's all there is to say about that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I appreciate a good reminder! It's a blessing to read your blog!